05 Dec Panel
During the Mutual Fund Distributor’s Summit 2017 held recently at the NISM campus near Mumbai, a panel was set up to discuss the role of investor education in business growth. The panelists were :-
- Shri Manish Mehta, National Head of Sales & Distribution Alliances, Kotak Mutual Fund
- Shri K S Rao, Vice President, Birla Sunlife Mutual Fund
- Shri Premal Pampaliya, Head-L&D, Reliance Mutual Fund
- Shri Gaurav Suri, Sr. EVP and Head-Marketing, UTI AMC
- Shri Akhil Chaturvedi, National Head-Sales, Motilal Oswal MF
The 5 key takeouts from the panel discussion were:-
- Investor Education is a very powerful tool for acquiring new customers and hence for genuine business growth and industry sustenance.
- Distributors need to invest in themselves by learning the skills needed to conduct investor education. Depending upon AMCs and Trainers alone would be grossly insufficient.
- There is huge business growth potential but unless we harness the power of education we won’t be able to realise this potential
- While the popular campaign “Mutual Fund Sahi Hai” will get people positively inclined towards “Mutual Funds” and is necessary but the campaign by itself isn’t sufficient. It needs the support of IFAs who have to act as the foot soldiers to reach out education to the people on the ground
- Investor education isn’t a sales presentation. Never expect immediate returns from investor education. Make investor education a way of life. Enjoy the process of educating people and rise in the eyes of those you educate. Over a period of time the education efforts would certainly bear fruit and a large percentage of people whom you educate would approach you for their investment needs.